June 11, 2011
Volunteer will assist field staff in teaching environmental protection and preservation. Bamenda the capital of the North West Region is experiencing urban growth and as a result people have turn to inhabit high risk zones characterized by land movements. As the town is experiencing growth sanitation conditions are poor, the few streams that run across the town have become dust bins for people to empty their waste. Garages throw their oil and houses empty their toilets in this river when rains are falling.
Degradation of agricultural lands and watersheds, deforestation and destruction of coastal zones is increasing at an alarming pace in Cameroon. The main problem is: lack of common framework of action and coordination of activities. Nevertheless it is a relatively peaceful and stable region in the country with the prospects of a bright future if the people are educated.
June 10, 2011
Brief Job Description for a Volunteer Farm Adviser
Place of work:Balikumbat Ngoketunjia Division of North West : Region
· Long term plans for the farm
· Annual plan of work for the farm (activity by activity)
· Scheduling when to acquire and plant particular seeds depending on season
· Programming to supply farm products booked by clients within time limits
¨ Application of insecticides, etc
· Quarterly plans of work
· Weekly plans
2. Project Coordination
· Be the overseer of the project and control all activities including work allocation to other
3. Project Implementation
· Carry out farm activities with other workers
· Working in Tree Domestication Project (doing grafting, marcotting & rooting of cuttings)
· Working on Rapid Multiplication of Plantain/Banana suckers
· Nursery maintenance (working with propagators, etc)
· Working in the organic farm (applying varying methods to improve on soil fertility to
increase farm output), sowing seeds, field planting and harvesting.
· Organising training workshops with farmers on various topics in agriculture
· Helping farmers to run their agricultural projects profitably.
· Labelling plants in the nursery and maintaining corresponding records of all plants and their
stages of development in the office record book
· Maintaining a record on the acquisition and use of farm materials and equipment like poly
pots, seeds, hoes, cutlasses, etc.
· Maintaining production and delivery inventories of crops
· Maintaining a record of daily activities in the farm
· Financial Records for the farm
5. Monitoring and Evaluation
· Develop and apply a simplified monitoring system for the farm
· Work out a minimum amount of recordings that will help gather the necessary
· Incorporate monitoring techniques at different levels of the project cycle
· Looking at the longer-term objectives, are they being achieved?
· Collecting and processing necessary information
· Relevance: Are the objectives actually matching the identified problems and needs? i.e.
whether the “why” of the project was a good one.
· Impact Assessment: Evaluating the impact of a chosen project
· Cost-effectiveness of the project
· Sustainability: Are there any lasting benefits of the project?
· Communicating the findings and recommendations made
· Feeding lessons back into the next round of planning. i.e. introducing corrective measures
in order to get better results.
· Planning the funding needs for the farm project
· Finding the funding agencies for the project (internet, embassies, etc)
· Developing a project proposal
· Applying for the funds for components of the project or so
· Implementation of project components
· Building cooperation with the funding organisation
· Writing monthly reports of work to CAEPA Office in Bamenda
· Writing evaluation reports of the farm projects highlighting strengths, weaknesses and
proposing corrective measures for better management
· Writing an overall report at the end of the volunteerism
9. Do other work that is related to the farm project
· E.g. Attend network meetings
June 10, 2011
CAEPA is currently looking for a Fundraising Consultant to assist in creating and implementing fundraising strategies and programs for the CAEPA.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working with a team to orchestrate contests, auctions, and events
- Discussing merchandise strategies
- Cultivating relationships with other organizations who may want to hold fundraisers on our behalf.
- Maintaining and organizing our current fundraising programs and expanding our stewardship efforts.
- Assisting with grant proposals
- Researching and identifying potential donors and securing funds for increasing public awareness of the CAEPA and its work.
This position will take a person with ample fundraising experience who is willing to teach others and work with a team of volunteers. This position will require a time commitment of approximately 10-15 hours per week but this will vary greatly as projects grow and evolve.